25 March 2010

This article in NY Times, makes me wonder where America--at least Republican America--is headed. Do they know they sound uncivilized and thoroughly undemocratic? I'm sure that there are very few countries where there are rightfully elected governments, where these kinds of threats from opposition parties would be made at all, let alone be condoned. Besides, if such threats had been issued in another country, by a party in opposition, to a legislation passed by the country's elected government, USA would be the first to decry such behaviour as undemocratic!!
It just makes me feel sad that a country which other countries looked up to--in a very distant past though that maybe--as a champion of democracy and right to think as one wishes, has come to this.

7 comments:

  1. So true.I really don,t know where we are heading.Nobody is looking out for the good of the country, it is just republicans wanting to put the democrats down.It is like wanting to see who wins.Not for all people.Really sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is disturbing and I am embarrassed by it all and not enough of the other side is speaking up....perhaps from fear as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always perplexed by the extremes of behaviour in the US - although it is a large nation and I suppose one would expect huge differences at times - but this is indeed very shoddy behaviour from major political party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one made me especially sad: 5 year old answers death threat phone call.

    And that's how I feel, sad. Not ashamed, not angry, just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really sad, that it has come to this. After all, this is the kind of thing that is happening in countries the US calls repressive. I do wish the people involved in these incidents could just look at themselves from the outside. But I guess if they could, they wouldn't be like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes me sad too. There used to be a time after elections when campaigning stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Easter Susan. Sorry to be late.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Do give your feed back.