31 May 2015

F is for Fantasy

I took a break yesterday because my daughter and family were here.  So we were busy playing Scrabble.  Today we are back to just the two of us--hillgrandmom and granddad and so there is time to blog.
The school year starts tomorrow.  So I start work tomorrow.
Well here goes in the Ato Z.  (I wish now I hadn't started!)
F is for Fantasy.  I am a big fan of the Fantasy genre of fiction.  In my childhood there was no such specific genre as I remember.  I read a great deal of Enid Blyton's stories about fairies and elves and pixies and that was the sum of the Fantasy reading then.  When I was a teenager, I did read occasional science fiction.  But there was nothing like the kind of books available now.  I had not read C. S. Lewis' the Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe as a child.
Then came the original Star Wars trilogy, by which time I was married and a mother, and I was completely hooked.  I then read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series only much later and they made my fondness for Fantasy a passion.  I passed on this love to my children and through them I read Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  I was introduced to Terry Pratchett's books by my children's friends and I loved them.  To me Terry Pratchet, from the pictures of him that I saw, was like a Gandalf come to life.  I am really sorry that he is gone.  Since first reading the Hobbit, I have read a great deal of Fantasy and totally enjoyed myself escaping into that world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Do give your feed back.